Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Reason #24: Hiroshi Yamauchi

Ah, Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi. Can I call you Yama?
I'll take that as a yes. So, Yama, I don't want to sound ungrateful here, my man. After all, you did purchase majority control of the Mariners in '92 and helped keep the team from jetting off to Florida or some place. And you did a ton of great stuff for Nintendo in the 80's and early 90's - I've got you to thank for Donkey Kong becoming a smash hit.

But Yama, would it kill you to come to a game of the team you own once in a while? Ok, how about once - ever? No? Can't do it? Dude, you're like the 150th richest person in the world, and you can't hop a plane across the Pacific to catch a game. I mean, you could buy a team of dolphins and have them tow you to Seattle on a chocolate raft if you wanted. So what's the deal?

And if you aren't that interested in the Mariners - alright, can't blame ya there, given the last 5 years - what's up with the Kenji Johjima signing? 3 years, 24 million for a oldish bad hitting, meh defense catcher - when our best hitting prospects play the same position. Now, I know Bill Bavasi trying to make big signings is about as intelligent as Napoleon trying to invade Russia. But even he wouldn't have signed Johjima on his own. So how about, when we get Jack Z as our new GM, you let him stick to baseball and you stick to counting your piles of money, alright? Thanks Yama, I knew you'd understand.

No comments: