Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Reason #34: The murder of Ed McMichael

If you've been to a few Sonics, Mariners or Seahawks games over the years, you have seen and probably appreciated Ed McMichael without knowing it. Ed was the Tuba Guy, the man sitting outside the arena or stadium before and after almost every sporting event. He was recognized by all. The Tuba Guy could have played in a band but instead chose to play solo, frequently in the cold, to collect tips and smiles from strangers. He would play slowly and sad after losses, and joyously after victories. He was one of the best known, if not the very best, sports fan in the city over the last 15 or so years.

It saddens me greatly that I have to use the past tense in describing him. On October 25 he was attacked by a group, beaten, kicked and robbed. He died from his injuries two days ago.

I don't want to dwell on the type of lowlifes that would attack and effectively murder a 53 year old man. Karma will have their own way of getting back to them, and it will be swift and painful. No, I'd rather remember Ed. I've seen him more times than I can count - I had given him friendly smiles many times, change occasionally and a spare ticket once. He was a bright spot after the most miserable of Mariner or Sonic losses. I want a memorial to this man, whose contributions to the Seattle sports scene could never be measured but were undeniably apparent and wonderful. I want a big brass tuba monument between Safeco and Quest Fields, beside which other buskers can play to their hearts content. Here's to the Tuba Guy.

You can send donations to this address.
Edward the Tuba Man McMichael Memorial Fund
P.O. Box 4985
Federal Way 98063

No comments: